Monday, July 07, 2008

What a difference a day makes, Aug. 28, 1965 Pt. 2



Moving up Main Street, we run into the scary Mr. Hyde, of Dr. Jekyll fame. He’s out front of the Main Street Cinema, attracting (or maybe even scaring away) the guests that walk by into the air-conditioned theater. Here is another shot of Mr. Hyde from a different day:



Obviously, I’m a big Mickey Mouse fan, but the Main Street Cinema certainly had a larger feeling of authenticity when it showed actual silent movies. There’s really no reason why Mickey and the Silent Screen Stars couldn’t co-habitate in the same theater. Last one for today is an off-center photo of the Plaza Inn, which seems to focus on the trash-can and the rear-ends of the shapely guests about to enter for a Fried-Chicken dinner.



In present day Disney news, I went to see "Wall-E" this weekend. For some reason, the trailers really turned me off, and I had virtually no desire to see it. However, the fantastic buzz it has been getting changed my mind, and I'm really glad I went to see it. It’s not your typical Pixar/Disney film; in fact it has a number of chilling commentaries on people and the environment. Still, it is well done, and I am continually blown away by the emotion that the Pixar artists are able to give to the characters. I predict we’ll be seeing more of Wall-E and his romantic interest, Eve. I also enjoyed the use of 2 songs from "Hello Dolly"; mercifully, the obnoxious Barbra Streisand is not included in any of the clips shown from the film. Since I’ve never seen that movie, I had no idea that one of the songs played over and over on Main Street at Disneyland is "Put on Your Sunday Clothes" from "Dolly." This song also provides the optimistic inspiration for Wall-E. So get out of your seats and run to the theaters; "Wall-E" should not be missed!



See more vintage and current Main Street photos at my website

16 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hi Dave, Thanks for the review, I was on the fence about Wall-E, but I will take your word for it and give it a try. Hey, I kinda like that shot of the shapely guests :-)

Unknown said...

Great shots of Mr. Hyde! I haven't seen him before...

I'm glad you enjoyed Wall-E and great ear for the song on Main St.

Major Pepperidge said...

Huh, I always thought that was supposed to be the Phantom of the Opera (since I've seen the marquee showing that movie). It's cool to know who he really was!

CoxPilot said...

Just saw WALL-E this past week end. It was great! Never have been a fan of animated stuff, but Pixar is a whole different think. Have you seen the real live version of WALL-E that is coming to Disneyland? Check this out. (had to put a space into the copy of the link because of blog-cutoff):

http://gizmodo.com/391234/animatronic-wall+e-
entertains-guests-at-disneyland-charges-5-for-a-
popsicle

Cool!

Daveland said...

Lee - Haven't seen the Wall-E at the park; hopefully he will still be there on my next visit in about a week. Thanks for the link - heck, I'd buy a popsicle from him! And Major - I thought the same thing until I saw the image I posted today with "Mr. Hyde" written on it, with the guy standing next to a marquee for that movie. Easy mistake to make.

Anonymous said...

Barbra Streisand obnoxious? No, dear, YOU are. She is a genious. Magnificent. You're a sad case of ignorance.

Have a nice day.
Vince

Daveland said...

Dear Vince - Spelling "genius" incorrectly is true ignorance; save your sarcastic comments for someone who cares. And believe me, I am not your "dear."

The Viewliner Limited said...

Give 'em Hell Dave. Streisand is an ego maniac. By the way nice pictures. Love the Plaza Inn pic.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the correction. In my haste I added the "o". However, you and your ilk still are not worthy or qualified to lick the bottoms of the Goddess' Stuart Weitzman pumps. With your lack of sophistication for God-given talent, you really should stick to enjoying cartoons.Have a nice day.
Vince

Major Pepperidge said...

Now you've done it Dave, you have incurred the wrath of the Streisand faithful!

I am amused by the sentiment that if you don't love Barbara, then you are an unsophisticated idiot (meaning of course that albar is sophisticated, the lucky guy). Instead of IQ tests, people should just be asked how they feel about Ms. S, it would be so much easier!

Katella Gate said...

Saw Wall-E. Didn't care for it for reasons that are outside the scope of this blog.

I hope I'm not spilling the beans but the divine Miss Streisand does not appear in any of the clips, so the little visual quotes of "Hello Dolly" that appear in Wall-E are actually an improvement on the musical.

You know they have versions of Star Wars where Jar Jar Binks is cropped out of all scenes... I wonder if you could do the same with Hello Dolly, it might help. Or just drop in a CGI Jabba the Hutt in cross-dress.

And by the way Miss S. has a well deserved reputation for being "difficult". The guy that played Barnaby (Danny Lockin) used to come home each night after filming (BTW, not to me - so hold the snarky comments) and start with "You won't believe what that B*tch did today on the set..."

Daveland said...

Katella - You are killin' me! What a great story! My dad also met Miss S. in person - same description - "What a b*tch!" They were at a party together and she couldn't find her purse; she went ape-shit accusing everyone at the party of stealing it.

outsidetheberm said...

Alright! If it's a rumble, I'm standing with Dave.

Truthfully, Vince wouldn't feel so upset if he realized that talent and repugnance often are best friends in Hollywood.

Or maybe Vince IS Barbara...

Anonymous said...

Wow! The Streisand haters are out in force! I guess none of you have ever been bitchy (Many, including myself, have proven it here that we are all not immune), or difficult, or demanding when necessary. What a sinless group!

Does anyone really care what Danny Lockin's opinion is of the Goddess? I never heard a thing about him after "Dolly".

By the way, one doesn't have to LOVE Barbra. However to bash her without ever having met the lady (I have)or seen her work, seems to indicate that you are extremely unhappy and angry with your own lives and denegrating a celebrity makes you feel better about yourselves.

Have a nice day.

Daveland said...

Vince - You may now go back and suck-up to your Divine Miss S. and tell her that you have defended her reputation. I am sure she will be extremely grateful and you will become her lifelong friend.

You have made your opinion known, and so have I & the other readers of this blog who are here to see vintage/current photos of Disneyland, not to discuss Barbra Streisand.

Have a nice day...elsewhere, not here.

Anonymous said...

DisneyLOL caption added to the Dr. Jekyll picture here:
http://icanhaspixiedust.com/2009/01/25/dr-jekyll-transforms-into-mr-hyde-main-street-cinema/