Saturday, November 07, 2009

Scholarly Saturdays: Encyclopaedia Britannica & Main Street Pt. 4



I definitely have something in common with Susie & Bobby; both of us love the Omnibus. However, I immediately go for the second level when I ride! Poor Bobby...Susie is not about to make any room for him in the front seat. Looks like he’ll be walking.

Here in image #2, we see the Penny Arcade. Wonder if Esmeralda is in the park yet, telling guests their fortunes?



Looking at this shot, it appears that she might be in the Arcade!



You just know that little Susie snitched on Bobby; that Keystone Kop is reading him the riot act for something he didn’t even do, and Susie is loving every minute.



When they weren’t picking on poor little Bobby, the Keystone Kops were playing music on Main Street. Wonder what happened to this group of musicians and when they were disbanded?



And finally for today, two from the Upjohn Pharmacy, including a rare interior view:





And as an extra special bonus today, lovers of retro art rejoice! The Disney/Pixar publicity machine has made available 8 (count 'em eight!) WAY cool retro-looking “UP” posters in honor of the upcoming DVD/Blu-ray release of “UP.” My very fave is the “Spirit of Adventure” poster. How about yours?

















DO NOT miss this movie...it was one of the most moving films I have seen in ages. See more Encyclopaedia Britannica photos at my website.

5 comments:

William Bezek said...

Did Susie and Bobby ever make it past Main Street?...the suspense is killing me.

TokyoMagic! said...

Dave, there is a poster just inside the doorway of the Penny Arcade that's visible in both shots. Any idea what this was a poster for? It doesn't really look like an attraction poster, although I know the Penny Arcade did have attraction posters all along the walls on the interior.

Daveland said...

Patience, William! There is much more to Susie & Bobby than just Main Street! Chris - I will post a closeup of that poster shortly, but not sure how much detail those frames will yield.

Unknown said...

I LOVE the last natural wonders poster. 3 more days till' UP is released. WOO HOO!! I'll be first in line to buy it!

CoxPilot said...

Dave: My wife and I still have the Esmerelda fortune cards we paid a penny for from 1965, just before we were married.