Thursday, August 12, 2010

Traveling Thursdays: More San Simeon



As you can tell by the number of posts that I’ve done, I was pretty enchanted with Hearst Castle and the San Simeon area. The first shot here is of Marion Davies, who presided over many a festive party at Hearst Castle. I was hoping that I’d get lucky and find a shot I’d taken from the same angle, but was only able to match the mountain range, not the angle. Either way, this place (and the views) are breathtaking.





Hearst had money; although that doesn’t always equate with good taste, in this case, W.R. obviously knew what he was doing...and had the right people to work with. Julia Morgan, the architect, worked very closely with Hearst to create this wonderland on a hill.



Guess who’s coming to dinner? Oh, just a few friends...













Kinda’ makes you want to decorate, doesn’t it?

See more San Simeon photos at my main website.

7 comments:

Chris Merritt said...

Wow - how much do I love this? I used to take this tour every year we went on our family vacations...

G said...

We are going there AGAIN next spring. The hills will be green and beautiful. It never gets old seeing this landmark.

G said...

BTW, I am ao glad I found your blog. Mike in Studio City

Daveland said...

Chris - They have a night tour in the fall; am really hoping to get back to do that one. Mike - thanks for the kind words and for leaving comments. Always great to see! Do you have a blog?

G said...

Dave, I don't have a blog. I have had an interesting life living in Hollywood for nearly 40yrs but I am not much for talking about myself. If you get me started I never shut up. :)

Daveland said...

Mike - Drop me an email - would love to hear your stories! dvdpicasso@aol.com

pixiegirltink said...

Makes me want to drive up there and take the tours again! Great pics and post my friend. :)