Tuesday, December 07, 2010

The Boys: A Tribute to The Sherman Brothers



Having just finished watching "The Boys: The Sherman Brothers' Story,” I decided to do a tribute post to these two talented musical geniuses. If you haven't seen this movie yet...do so. If you don't know who they are, trust me...you know their music.

Best known for their Disney work ("Mary Poppins," "Bedknobs & Broomsticks," "The Parent Trap"), they also have a healthy repertoire of non-Disney musical hits ("Chitty Chitty Bang Bang," "Charlotte's Web," "Tom Sawyer"). Despite the upbeat catchy tunes they have crafted over the years, the two brothers have always had somewhat of a rift between them. Produced by Richard & Robert's sons, Gregory & Jeffrey Sherman (shown below with Dick Van Dyke), it was hoped that the estrangement would end as a result. Even though it doesn't appear to have accomplished that task, this documentary is an excellent inside look at how the two developed into one of the most successful songwriting teams.



If you're looking for some dramatic blowout or a reason as to why the two are estranged, you won't really find it. It appears to be nothing more than family tension that was increased to them working together. Despite the estrangement, these two have left a memorable musical legacy that will be sung for many years to come. For Disney fans and those interested in music, this documentary is a must.





Here are some photos from the movies (and Disneyland attraction) that “The Boys” are best known for, beginning with Mary Poppins:







The Parent Trap:



Chitty Chitty Bang Bang:



it's a small world (New York World's Fair marquee):



Opening day of the Disneyland attraction, May 28, 1966:





Another reader request; she has a Magic Fortune Telling machine/game that she is trying to find out whether it was actually at Disneyland back in the 1960's or not. Here are a few photos of it:







See more Disneyland photos at my main website.

5 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

I always wondered why we always saw Richard Sherman, but never Robert. A friend recently told me about their rift, which surprised me. Come on, boys! Shake hands and be pals again!

JG said...

Yeah, life is too short to hate people, especially your family. Even if they deserve it.

Dave, I don't recall seeing that device at Disneyland, or anywhere else for that matter.

I'm not an expert, but I have a good eye for detail and I spent a lot of time and money in that (and other) penny arcade(s).

JG

Heidi Ann said...

I am going to have to get my hands on a copy of that documentary, because I have always ADORED their music. I am SO glad I was able to get a copy of "Walt's Time" while I was still able to afford it - what a wonderful tome it is!

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

The documentary sounds good, I'll have to get a copy. I've heard of the rift but thought it was newer, has it always been there?

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" didn't know that was there's!

Excellent photo of Walt 5/28/66.

Nice post Dave, thank you!

Connie Moreno said...

I was fortunate enough to see this film at the D23 Expo last year. It was amazing and I do plan to buy it. Great post!