Friday, November 21, 2014

1959 Disneyland Celebrities Arrive, Pt. 2



I have added a third image to my collection of celebrities arriving for the June 14, 1959 celebration of Disneyland's new attractions. This one shows actor Jock Mahoney, who played the title role in the TV western series "Yancy Derringer" on CBS from 1958-1959. Anyone know where this photo was taken? Or who Miss Santa Clara could be? So many questions for a Friday!

See more Daveland Disneyland Behind-The-Scenes photos at my main website.

6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

It looks like an airport to me, but who knows. "Derringer" is a cool name, but "Yancy" is not cool!

beachgal said...

I agree - it looks like the old LA Muni airport on Imperial Hwy.

Unknown said...

Here is a link to a 1959 shot of some of S.F airport, plus Santa Clara is pretty close so I'm thinking this might be it. http://www.flysfo.com/content/first-jet-bridge-san-francisco-international-airport

Connie Moreno said...

Dang, I've never even heard of Yancy Derringer!

Daveland said...

Unknown - Looks like a match to me, which blows my theory about the photos showing an arrival at Disneyland. I wonder what the heck Roy Williams and Vesey Walker were doing in SF?

Unknown said...

I don't know for sure what everyone was doing at the airport in S.F., but if you look closely there are what appear to be military (Naval?) officers in in these shots. Maybe this was some type of USO meet and greet/appearance/performance that they were there for. That would also explain the local beauty queen and the gaggle of pretty girls with her. I don't know why we don't see any Disney Princesses, but maybe Disney didn't what the optics of Snow White and Aurora "meet the fleet."

BTW my name is Paul, the only thing "Unknown" is why I can't get my name to show up when I post.