Monday, January 05, 2015

Monstro is Born



The Storybook Land attraction at Disneyland's Fantasyland has been around for years, and there are many who mistakenly think it has been at the park since opening day. Not so. Running out of time, Walt had to compromise and guests road canal boats through banks of mud. Not very exciting. In this May 1956 image of the Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship Restaurant, sharp-eyed viewers will note workers feverishly attempting to finish Monstro the Whale before the new-and-improved attraction's June 16, 1956 re-opening. You can also see the uncapped tower of the ticket booth:



Here's how they both looked upon completion in an August 1956 shot; note the steam coming out of his blowhole.



A contemporary shot of Monstro:



and the repurposed ticket window lighthouse:



Are you wanting more? Of course you are; you're only human…at least I hope you are. March on over to my main website and see more photos of Storybook Land at Disneyland.

7 comments:

MRaymond said...

Monstro looks scary in his original incarnation. That's the Monstro that scared the crap out of me. Maybe that's why they changed it?

K. Martinez said...

Love Monstro's blowhole. I miss details like that. I remember when the new Fantasyland opened up in 1983, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride had "smoke" steam coming out of the chimneys of its Toad Hall façade. I remember first seeing it while riding the Skyway from Tomorrowland.

On your next visit to Disneyland, you'll have to let us know what you think of the Frozen addition to Storybook Land. It doesn't look bad from what I've seen. Storybook Land is now my favorite of the Fantasyland attractions. Thanks, Dave.

robby431 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
robby431 said...

But Monster still blows water out of the blowhole...

Daveland said...

Robby - Nobody said he didn't.

robby431 said...

Oh I got from one of the comments that someone thought it didn't happen anymore. I guess they mean they miss other details like that blowhole.
My bad :)

Matt G. said...

I didn't know Monstro still blew water our of his blowhole. Now I wish I had looked for that when I was there this week!

The Frozen addition was ok, but I'm tired of it taking over the parks...