Thursday, January 07, 2016

Watercolor in Jackson Square



This vintage October 1958 image just screamed at me when I saw it…in a good way. The dapper watercolor artist in New Orleans' Jackson Square is painting a dignified lady in a navy blue dress and pearls. She was snapped mid-conversation; I am sure the artist was charming her with his Van Dyke-esque beard.

A closeup of his work:



I wonder if the sketch at right is a self-portrait?



Today, you can still find street artists in Jackson Square, although they do not seem to have the appeal of our 1958 subject.



More Jackson Square in New Orleans photos on my main website

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The painter looks like Leonardo DiCaprio gone back in time. Also, could that be a portrait of Rhonda Fleming sitting in the lower right corner??

Paul Alleeson, Pine Mountain Club, California