Thursday, July 28, 2016

Food and Art: What a Combo!



Thanks to a spot-on recommendation from a friend who lives in NYC, I was able to experience dining at Leopard at des Artistes near Central Park West. Not just dining...the evening was what I would call an experience. Accompanied by a long-time friend I had not seen in years, it was a night to remember. Arriving first, I went next door to check out the "hotel" portion of this complex, which was actually never a hotel, but rather an apartment building for artists.



Residents have included Norman Rockwell, Isadora Duncan, Alexander Woollcott, Fannie Hurst, and Noel Coward. Not too shabby. Back at the restaurant, I had a beverage while waiting for my friend to arrive. I was glad I had that extra time, as it afforded me the opportunity to have the Ukrainian bartender fill me in on the hotel and restaurant's history.



The restaurant is probably best known for its murals by artist Howard Chandler Christy titled, "Fantasy Scenes with Naked Beauties,” completed in 1935.



These were created when Christy lived in New York City and had his studio at the Hotel des Artistes.









Oh yes...and the food.



Every course was out of this world.



And dessert...



No, I didn't order two desserts. We shared.



If you are rushed, do not eat here. This is a place to be savored and appreciated.

More New York City photos at my main website.

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Holy smokes Dave... I may have to book a trip to NYC just to enjoy this restaurant. Incredible to think that all those artists lived in one place. Thank you for these great posts of your recent trips. Talk soon!

Always your pal,
Amazon Belle

K. Martinez said...

Beautiful murals and restaurant. Can you tell us what some of the various dishes including the desserts are? They look wonderful and delicious but it's hard guessing some of them.

Again, your photography really captures the beauty of your travels. Thanks!

Daveland said...

Ken - The main entree was swordfish...absolutely delicious. The first dessert was some kind of fancy doughnut thing (that's as much as I can remember) and the second one was a lemon-verbena panna cotta with blueberry compote. All fantastic.