Monday, January 16, 2017

The Lorraine Motel



Back in 2009, I was in Memphis for a conference. As I typically do, I took an early morning with my camera hanging over my shoulder. When I'm in a new city for a short time, I do not want to miss capturing "that shot," thus the camera goes just about anywhere. As I was heading back to my hotel, I came upon what looked like one of those classic 1960's "No tell motels" (you know, the L-shaped buildings with two stories where just about anything and everything could happen). For some reason, this particular one really caught my attention.



The parking lot was empty except for two vintage automobiles.



And then I came upon the marker that made it apparent that I had stumbled upon the site where Martin Luther King was assassinated almost 49 years ago.



It truly sent chills up and down my spine. To be at the site where one human being decided to take away the life of another seems so unsettling to me. The amount of hate that causes that action is scary.



I hope that we can all pause and reflect today and allow ourselves to lower the temperature a bit and learn how to live respectfully with each other.



More Memphis and Civil Rights Museum photos at my main website.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice pictures Dave. It seems like it would be a spooky place.