Sunday, September 30, 2007

Peoplemover, 1967



It’s been 12 years since the PeopleMover chugged along its Tomorrowland tracks, and it still manages to generate a number of rumors about its return. These 2 views are from September 1967. Walt had high hopes for this “attraction,” as it was to be one of the cornerstones for EPCOT. The Peoplemover was to be one of the main forms of transportation that would take people from the city into their suburban homes, thus practically eliminating the need for cars. It’s easy to see why many lament Disney’s passing, as there were so many more things he wanted to achieve.



Even though this one is blurry, I am including it as it shows a nice view of the Peoplemover and the Monorail together. One of my favorite aspects of Disneyland is how multiple attractions are “woven” together in certain areas.



See more vintage PeopleMover photos on my main website.

7 comments:

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Hi Dave, Great early shots of the People Mover! I am one of those folks that dreams of its return or something to return to the PM Tracks. As much as I thought the Rocket Rods were lame, at least you got to “ride the track” now I really get depressed looking at that empty track.

Hey, in case anyone is interested, you can buy one of the original People Mover Cars, it’s on EBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120166162302&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

I am curious what the reserve is? I am also curious where they got it? Oh and if someone wants to lend me $10,000 I’d buy it!

Keep up the great work Dave, I spent some time on your main DL website the other night, WOW is it looks GREAT! THANKS SO MUCH!

Tim

Major Pepperidge said...

That first picture is fun, especially because of the the people in their 1967 clothes.

I loved the Peoplemover, but wonder how well it would have worked in cities, since it does move pretty slow. Maybe there could have been an "express" version?

Peter VINCENT said...

I would love to have the Peoplemover pick me up from my home and take me to the train station... especially if it went through Disneyland along the way.

Hey Dave is your "Davelandweb: My Art & Photography" still online? I'm having trouble accessing it.

Regards
P.

Daveland said...

Peter - I think I just had a typo on the link; should be fine now. Thanks -
Dave

Matterhorn1959 said...

The Peoplemove cars were recently auctioned off by Disney themselves. From what I have read on Mice Chat they are empty shells that were used for picture props. The price via the Disneyland auction was $2400 each. It will be intersting to see what the car does end up costing.

Dave- nice images as usual. I used to love the People Mover as a nice break in the day to sit down, relax and still be moving.

Dakota said...

I loved the People Mover! Thanks for sharing these great photos.

Matt said...

I miss the Peoplemover, but at least I have the memories and a cool old floaty pen!