Thursday, August 01, 2013

December 1982: small world



The last ones from this December 1982 collection are from the interior of the it's a small world attraction in Fantasyland. I will do my best to match up these vintage images with contemporary ones, starting off with this transition scene from The North Pole to Europe.







A South Seas scene circa 1982:



Transformed into a plug for Lilo & Stitch:



The flower-powered hippo:





The last shot is from the Rainforest scene:



With less real estate than it used to have, the rainforest has gotten a little cramped:



See more vintage & current Disneyland it's a small world photos on my small world web pages.

3 comments:

K. Martinez said...

Nice match ups. I actually like the Disney characters inserted into this attraction.

BTW, "it's a small world" characters make excellent Christmas Tree Ornaments. The hippo reminds of a couple I have.

Anonymous said...

Riding this always reminds me of my Mom, she loved it so much.

I loved the old hippo, good to see him in the new version, but i prefer his old regalia.

I think the addition of the characters is a good thing here, it freshens up the look and I think it connects the "We Are The World" theme with the various films. People viewing the ride are expected to see themselves in the little figures, this shows that the characters are "people" too. I am glad, however, that there is no Johnny Depp figure.

Sorry, that sounds confused, but I knew what i meant.

Thank you for these nice pictures.

JG

Major Pepperidge said...

Neat! This is something that I've always wanted to do. You did an excellent job! I'd love to see more if possible.