Sunday, January 12, 2014

San Diego Half Marathon: A Challenge for 50



Typically, I prefer to do races in cities other than the one I live in. When I train, I don't believe in training on a treadmill or on a track; races are held outdoors, and that's exactly where I like to train. To have a race over the roads that I train everyday seems somewhat boring, but this year, I have decided to break with tradition. On March 9, 2014, starting in Petco Park, I will be doing the San Diego Half Marathon and hoping to achieve a personal best in honor of my impending (yikes) 50th birthday. When I turned 30, I was living in Indiana, and my family took me to Chi Chi's, a "Mexican" restaurant (the quotes are intentional). I remember all the waitstaff coming out to sing "Happy Birthday" and dumping a huge sombrero on my head. I also remember thinking, "Is this what 30 is about?" Once I recovered from that (5 years later), I felt my life start to hum again. When it came time to turn the next corner and hit 40, I decided to take life (and my celebration) by the horns and face it head on. The 40s have been a blast, and I fully intend to make the 50s even better, starting with this race.

Here's the course: along the way, runners pass the Broadway Pier:



Harbor Drive/Harbor Island and The San Diego Airport:



Coming back, Liberty Station in Point Loma and up through Mission Hills, which is known for its beautiful Mission/Arts & Crafts-style homes and gardens:





Next along the line is Hillcrest, home to many unique restaurants and shops:



And then past the jewel of San Diego, Balboa Park:



With a tremendous finish (I hope) through the Gaslamp Arch:



As far as scenery goes, I really can't complain.

See more vintage & current San Diego photos on my main website.

1 comment:

K. Martinez said...

Congrats on your upcoming milestone, Dave. Hope your fifties treat you well.