Monday, March 24, 2014

Monorail Monday



I am starting off the week with two new additions to my collection from March 1960. The Monorail was less than a year old when this photo was taken of it gliding above the Matterhorn Bobsled attraction.

This second image is a beauty, with the Richfield Autopia Eagle hovering over the foreground.



I had to zoom in for a look at its backside. I wonder if it survived in somebody's private collection?



Just for good measure, I am throwing in a few other Blue Monorail favorites to boost up today's post, beginning with this November 1960 shot:



Nothing to see here, folks; just a few mermaids taking a dip in the lagoon.



Even though it's a bit dark, I really like this January 1961 image of the Monorail, Yacht Bar, Skyway, and Matterhorn. So much to see!



Nosy me…I just have to see who is on the Monorail in this shot:



Last one for today is a February 1960 picture-postcard-perfect shot:



See more vintage & current Disneyland Monorail photos from my collection on my main website.

4 comments:

MRaymond said...

Love the pics today. It reminds me of when I was riding the Fantasyland side of the Matterhorn and made a blind corner, to come face to face with the Monorail (or it seemed like that to a kid). Love the green monorail, you don't see that one as often.

K. Martinez said...

Wow!! These are great. For the Mark I, Monorail Blue is my favorite.

In image 4, I love the view of the Fantasyland Autopia passing over the Submarine Lagoon/Motor Boat Cruise divide. I was disappointed when this element was eliminated and filled in when Finding Nemo was built.

There's something special about those early "Disneyland '59" images. So fresh and new with that sense of wonder. Really enjoyed these. Thanks, Dave.

Fifthrider said...

Totally agreed about the Autopia over the sub ride. Removing that little section of water was a minus, not a plus. I love how much blue is a focus of the color in those. The monorail, skycars, people in blue clothes. It's like an art experiment.

Unknown said...

I made 3 of the eagles for Richfield at Stubergh Studios in Hollywood (fiberglass), don't know where any went. That was 1954.