Saturday, April 12, 2014

Willis Goes To Breakfast



Have you ever noticed that when you live in a city, you often put off exploring it? Instead, you go on vacation, explore a different city, and then bemoan what you think your own city is missing? In an attempt to do something different, Willis went to the Gaslamp Quarter District for breakfast. HE loves to explore, even if I get a bit settled into a routine. We tried Cafe 222, known for its waffles (as you can see in the creative photography used on this A-Frame).



To get the name, it took two photos:



I'm sure the "222" looks more effective lit at night.



The servers are extra friendly, and brought out a water bowl and biscuit for Willis. He was in hog heaven. Here we have patience:



And no patience:



The blueberry cornbread waffle was delicious (Willis didn't get any):



Nearby is the historic (and supposedly haunted) Horton Grand Hotel:



Roger Whitaker is the man whose ghost reportedly occupies Room 309 and the hallway on that floor. There are conflicting stories about how Roger died; regardless, according to those who have "seen him," he is friendly and only plays mild pranks on them.



Onto another hotel, "The Grand Budapest Hotel," which I just returned from seeing. If you've seen the previews, you might mistake this for a Benny Hill comedy that stars Bill Murray. Not at all.



It is a magically humorous yet also dramatic tale of the unlikely friendship that develops between the Concierge of the hotel and the Lobby Boy that he takes under his wing. The fanciful films and costumes recall a bygone era, while some of the situations and spicy language jar you back to the present. There are so many fantastic cameos that you will need to pay attention; don't leave the movie for a second bucket of popcorn!



See more vintage & current Daveland San Diego photos on my main website.

4 comments:

PsySocDisney said...

Yay Willis! I adore his sweet little face. Beautiful shot of the hotel as well. I've gotten to stay in one haunted hotel before... don't know if I could do it again.

K. Martinez said...

The biggest smile forms on my face whenever I see Willis on your blog. Thanks for sharing his adventures, Dave.

Daveland said...

PsySocDisney - what happened at the hotel? Can't leave us hanging!

K. - He makes me smile, too!

PsySocDisney said...

Well it's not thaaat interesting but I was younger… about 13 I think, and felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to see no one behind me. I was skeptical of ghosts and not even scared until that moment. Didn't get a wink of sleep that night! :)