Thursday, August 07, 2014

A Jet Is Still A Jet



I don't know that I would call this anniversary momentous, but 50 years ago today, the Tomorrowland Astro Jets attraction was renamed the Tomorrowland Jets.

Zooming in closer for this December 1963 shot, we get a look at the Spica, named after the brightest star in the constellation Virgo.



A July 1962 image:



The attraction's name was changed at the request of United Airlines, who had just taken over sponsorship of The Enchanted Tiki Room. As you can see in this April 1965 image, United cares. In fact, they give EXTRA care.



Seems that they cared that American Airlines' coast-to-coast "Astrojet" service was getting free advertising from Disneyland. Of course, the first thing you thought about when you got to Disneyland and rode the Astrojet was buying a ticket on American Airlines. It's only natural, you know.

See more Daveland Astro/Rocket Jet photos at my main website.

1 comment:

K. Martinez said...

Wow! Guess I never rode the Astro-jets as I thought. I rode the Tomorrowland Jets instead. Bummer!

Man, I love the original Tomorrowland façades on the eastern wings of the exhibit buildings facing the Flight Circle.

So have you completed your Astro-jet name collection yet?