Friday, December 12, 2014

1970's Town Square



Picture this…you are standing in front of City Hall at Disneyland's Town Square…it's the 1970's. There's a Horse-Drawn Streetcar pulling up nearby. Can you see it? If not, just look at today's first photo. Turning to your right, you can see an Omnibus parked in front of the Main Street Train Station, ready to pick up the next load of guests who want a ride to the Castle.



Turning back to our original view, the scene has been enhanced by a balloon vendor. Please note the 70s fashions, including what could be a pair of hot pants on the right. I'm not sure this is the program that the plush Winnie the Pooh signed up for.



The UCLA digital archives collection has this December 1974 Town Square image showing the Horse-Drawn Streetcar.



Let's get a closer look at the conductor's hat and (of course) the horse. Mr. Ed never had it so good.



On my last trip to D-Land, I shot a few photos of my own in Town Square, including this one featuring the Emporium:



and the beautiful fall flowers that graced the planters in the heart of the Square:



See more Daveland 1970's Disneyland Town Square photos at my main website.

2 comments:

K. Martinez said...

The POV shots from City Hall are very nice. 1970's Disneyland was the best in my opinion.

Not sure if it's the photo lens you were using, but at quick first glance I thought the Emporium shot was of the curvy buildings of Mickey's Toontown.

Thanks, Dave.

Major Pepperidge said...

I love the pix from '74. K. Martinez's comment about the Emporium echoes my own opinions about the unfortunate colors used on today's Main Street. The old Main Street felt at least somewhat realistic. I find much of what's used today to be kind of awful, frankly.