Friday, July 03, 2015

1960s Skyway Magic



Today we jump ahead an entire decade (July 1967 to be exact) to see a different type of Skyway bucket that is definitely more square. Figuratively speaking, of course. On the right is the Carousel of Progress (now known as Innoventions) and on the left is an absolutely gorgeous Blue Monorail!



How about a closer look at those buckets and the Richfield Autopia Eagle below?



Image #2 for today is a nice vertical shot with the Submarine Voyage lagoon underneath:



You can even see the Peoplemover! SOOOOO much going on here. If only there was as much energy in today's Tomorrowland, we might have more hope for the future!



More Disneyland Skyway magic at my main website.

5 comments:

Darryl said...

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. The submarine ride looks to be packed, maybe due to that it only holds 25 or so, so it's not much of a guest hog.

You've said that before and it is very true, todays Tomorrowland has no movement...no kinetic energy. I will hope right along with you for the future.

MRaymond said...

I would love to walk into one of those pictures. Thank You

K. Martinez said...

Oh, I have hope for the future. Just not at Disneyland. I won't be holding my breath waiting for a kinetic Tomorrowland like we had in 'Tomorrowland 1967'. That requires multi-layered movement and overlapping attractions and I don't see that happening.

If you look at DCA and the newer Disney parks there are rarely overlapping attractions anymore. Nowadays it seems Disney wants each individual attraction to exist within its own footprint. That means attractions are not kinetically interacting off each other. Why is Disney designing that way these days? I have no idea.

Have yourself a great 4th of July weekend, Dave!

Eric F. said...

I so miss the kinetic flow of Tomorrowland. A shame they turned it into a very bleh area now.

I can't help but notice that on the submarine in the front is a rectangular grating. I saw them in the older pics as well, but they got rid of it by the late 70's. Did it serve any purpose or cause them issues hence it being gone now?

Daveland said...

Ken - I think the answer is because there are many silos at Disney that don't talk to each other.

Sorry Eric - I don't know the answer to that one.