Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Wright Tour Pt. 9: The Huntington



My final post on this amazing tour courtesy of the Wright Trust takes us to the Huntington Library in San Marino (next door to Pasadena).



I had visited the gardens and galleries once briefly back in 1995 and was very happy to have another opportunity to see them.



Poor Medusa; always losing her head.



This bronze sculpture of Diana the Huntress has always been a fave:



Our tour was focused on the American Gallery, aka the Virginia Steele Scott Galleries:





Always a sucker for Art Deco styling:



The way the light was coming into this gallery almost seemed like something out of Star Trek.



Beam me up, Scotty!



A favorite painting:



The reason we were here was an exhibit including quite a few Arts & Crafts pieces. How about this dining room table. LOVE IT!



When our toured ended, I wandered over to the main house which also serves as a gallery.





The two paintings that draw the crowds in this gallery are "Pinkie" by Thomas Lawrence…



and "Blue Boy" by Thomas Gainsborough.



And then I was ready to go home. I missed Willis.



More Huntington beauty at my main website.

1 comment:

K. Martinez said...

Great finale! Thoroughly enjoyed this series and sorry to see it end. Thanks, Dave.