Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Jim Morrison turns orange



Back in the Summer of 1994, I happened upon this huge mural of Jim Morrison painted upon an apartment building in Venice Beach. Flash forward to a few weeks ago, and the mural still remains, but the building itself has been repainted. Orange. If you look closely, you can still see the mint green surrounding Morrison. Sadly, whoever painted the building didn't see fit to save the signature of the artist.



On the other side of the building is one of Arnold Schwarzenegger:



This one of Donald Trump is an instant classic:



Marilyn Monroe looks positively dreamy staring out of the painted window:



Pulling back you see more of the building itself:



A mural featuring Muhammad Ali:



Last one is my very favorite: the Touch of Evil mural. Get that car out of the way of my photo!



See more Venice Beach photos at my main website.

2 comments:

Fifthrider said...

I love them all but that one with Schwarzenegger is just begging for someone to stick their head out the window "Look at me!"

beachgal said...

I prefer the old Venice that was there in the 50s and early 60s, before they all but demolished Windward Ave and most of the colonnades. Only thing that WAS improved by that early Venice beautification program was getting rid of the last of the oil derricks/wells which took away the horrible stench of oil tailings. Oh and they always widened the beach then which helped to get rid of lots of the tar that was all over that beach. I well remember the Venice Jim used to roam - I was already an adult by then - or so I thought!